So this is what I’ve been working on this past month. I’m very happy with the progress so far. Of course one month was too ambitious a goal to finish a doll, but I’ll continue to work on her off the 12 Art Projects 2015 thing. The eyes are only makeshift ones so she doesn’t have an empty skull in the photos, I will make different ones at some point.
I’ve put together a bunch of pictures from my photo documentation of the project.
This is my first try at sculpting a doll with hollow parts that works with inner stringing. I didn’t keep dA updated with WIPs, so this is a collection of my process in making her until this point (which is the end of February and thus the end of the doll making project of my 12 Art Projects 2015). As always I worked with Fimo polymer clay to sculpt all the parts. I know lots of people use paper clay or other air dry clays to make dolls, but I’m too impatient for anything air drying. My process is easily described: sculpt, bake, cut and sand, sculpt again, bake again and so on.
I had made the basic head sometime last summer, so all I did this month was the body (which is not even finished), so you see it’s a very time consuming process. But also very rewarding, as it continues to inspire me and I not once had art block from it (which is rare for me), so I’ll definitely continue to work on her.